Thursday, November 20, 2008


Lab: A senior to me inbetween a general related conversation about our boss, "of course she gives you a lot of freedom, freedom which you would like, and freedom which you wouldn't like... you would hope she spends some time on you atleast in the beginning."
Another post doc:" I have been here long enough, and I am here because I have nowhere else to go, all these huge number of people in the lab, everybody has there own niche, you cannot really go and say ' hey I would like to do dome experiments with FCS', you would need other skills for it. and some poeple take out there earphones only when they want, other wise there song goes on.."

During the practical course in a lab, two italians and me. 
First Italian: listen Senthil, I have already talked to him about this, but do you mind if I talk with the incharge so that we can come late tomorrow?"
Me: yes, of course, I dont mind starting late by an hour or two if its something really important to you...
First Itlalian: ya, thanks a lot.
then the incharge comes in, he starts," We wanted to ask you if we can come at 12 noon from tomorrow onwards as I have a personal problem...
the incharge," Can I ask what is the problem? Its not just not my time, it means adjusting the times of all the people who have planned experiments with the instrument.."
First Italian: " I have joined the gym and since I get a discount if I go between 9 and 13 hours, I would like to go to gym, I have not been going the last week because of the lectures..."
The second italian looks at him and then me with a surprised look. I am also suprised at the seriousness of the issue. 
the incharge: I see that you are thinning down, but no. its not possible. Its  shitty (reason).
First Italian: ya i know, its a shitty, I have not gone since a week, i really wanted to go. But this practical and lectures....
All the three of us were astounded but of course we just tacitly smiled.



No comments: